Use an Integrated Pest Management (IPM) Approach
An Integrated Pest Management (IPM) approach
combines chemical, cultural, mechanical and other suitable practices for controlling pests. Select the best combination of pest control options that minimizes risks to pollinators. Basic steps of IPM include:
- Cultural practices that discourage pests from using a crop or landscape as habitat.
- Proper diagnosis of your pest problem.
- Monitoring and assessing pest populations to determine if levels warrant pesticide treatment.
- Determining your best combination of pest control options.
- Using the recommended pesticide at the lowest appropriate labeled rate with the proper timing and placement. Do not use amounts below the labeled rate because this could result in loss of control and development of pest resistance.