Some content of the Homeowner module was adapted from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s “Citizen’s Guide to Pest Control and Pesticide Safety”.
County Cooperative Extension Service offices often have a range of resources on lawn care and landscape maintenance, including plant selection, pest control, and soil testing.
Pesticide Fact Sheets from the National Pesticide Information Center contains information on Pest Control, Emergencies involving pesticides, Manufacturers, and other issues with pesticides.
PROTECTING WATER QUALITY When Using Pesticides
Household Water Quality Publications. University of Georgia Cooperative Extension Service.
Water Quality Protection Measures for Homeowners PowerPoint presentation from the Western Integrated Pest Management Center. Authors: Darren Haver, Univ. of CA; Carrie Foss, WA State Univ.; Sue Donaldson, Univ. of NV; January 2013.
SELECTING and USING PESTICIDES SAFELY
A series of fact sheets for the proper use of pesticides (from the University of Wisconsin)
- What is a Pesticide?
- Pesticide Information Sources
- Home pest management plans
- Storage and Disposal
- Reading Pesticide Labels
- Mixing Pesticides
- Applying Pesticides
- Hand Sprayer Calibration
- Spreader Calibration
- Personal Protective Equipment
- Choosing a Pesticide
- Hiring it Done
Be Aware of Illegal Pesticide Products. EPA. Information about illegal pesticide products, certain common illegal pest products and what you should do.
- Hortsense. Home gardener fact sheets for managing plant problems. Washington State University Extension.
- Bugwood Network. Images and publications on a variety of pests and wildlife. University of Georgia.
- Home and Garden Information Center. Information on the control of common pests. Clemson University.
- Insect Pest Management on Ornamental Plants. North Carolina State University.
- Residential Integrated Pest Management. Univ. of MN.
- Pestsense. Fact sheets for managing common indoor pest problems such as insects and plant diseases. Washington State University Extension.
- Home, Garden, Turf, and Landscape Pests. 2008. University of California IPM Online.
- What is IPM? Explains the importance of IPM and how it is implemented. National Pest Management Assoc.
- National School IPM Information Source. The University of Florida.
- A Homeowner’s Guide to Environmentally Sound Lawncare. Massachusetts Department of Agricultural Resources.
PROTECTING WILDLIFE FROM PESTICIDES
- Homeowner’s Guide to Protecting Frogs–Lawn and Garden Care. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.
- Reducing the Risk of Pesticide Poisoning to Honey Bees.
- Biological Control: A Guide to Natural enemies in North America. Cornell University.
- Biological Control Information Center. North Carolina State University.
- Beneficial Insects and Spiders in Your Maine Backyard. University of Maine Cooperative Extension Bulletin #7150.