If insecticide resistance is confirmed by diagnostic testing or by eliminating other potential reasons for pesticide failure (see Is Resistance to Blame), manage insecticide resistance with the approaches listed below:
- Immediately stop using the insecticide in question and other insecticides with the same mode of action.
- Manage insect pests as outlined in Take Steps to Avoid Insecticide Resistance. Adhering to these resistance avoidance principles will help prevent resistance from recurring and prove beneficial in managing resistance in the long term.
- Use preventive control, as appropriate, for pests that are known to be resistant.
- Seek advice from your local county Extension Educator, Land-grant university insect management specialist, or log onto the Insecticide Resistance Action Committee website at: http://www.irac-online.org/ for assistance with the long term planning of insect control in subsequent crops
Reversal of resistance can occur in some pest populations by allowing time between applications of a class of pesticide to permit resistant populations to become diluted by pesticide-susceptible individuals. However, no one can predict if or when resistant pests will change back to a susceptible population.
Compiled by Dr. Wayne Buhler, PhD.
Topics Included in this Module
- Introduction to Insecticide Resistance
- Is Resistance to Blame? — Resistance is not the only reason for insect control failure.
- Raised Resistance Risks — Conditions that favor increased potential for resistance to develop and spread.
- Insecticide Resistance Mechanisms — There are several ways that insect populations can become resistant to insecticides.
- Take Steps to Avoid Insecticide Resistance — Ways to slow and prevent insecticide resistance from developing.
- Spraying by the Numbers — Insecticide classification scheme that distinguishes modes of action by group numbers.
- What can you do about Resistant Insects? — What you can do if resistance is already present.
- Resources and Suggested Reading — Additional information about insecticide resistance.